Saturday, October 31, 2009

ONE IS SILVER AND THE OTHER IS GOLD


You all remember the little saying, "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is Silver and the Other is Gold. I grew up having that thought in my mind at a young age. I don't remember where I heard it from, but it seamed to always be on my mind. As I grew up I lived in the same place, same friends, same neighborhood, everything. I often wondered why that saying was planted so deeply in my mind.

When I married, at the age of 19, I quickly found a love of making where ever we lived into our home. I had many opportunities to recreate and redecorate. You see, school and work (and economizing) have allowed us to move 21 times.

I wouldn't trade any one of those moves for anything. You see, I have been making friends for 38 years. Some are old and some are new! Some are Silver and some are Gold! All of them have a special place in my heart. All of them have shared something of great worth with me - themselves.

I understand now why that little saying was planted so deeply in my heart. I have come to understand that the most important thing to me -- are the relationships I make with the people that cross my path. Weather it be, my family, my friends, or the women down the street. I am so blessed to be touched by so many.

As we approach this next month, the month of Thanksgiving, I pray that we will pause - and give thanks to our friends, weather they be Silver or Gold.

No comments: