Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree



Well, it's that time of year again. I use to get so excited I couldn't stand it. I had so much fun fussing over a tree and decorations. I'm sorry to say that I am not like most people who add to their collection of Christmas ornaments and decorations each year - year after year - and use the same ornaments, memories of children and events. I choose a new style and color of ornaments each year and I have fun creating the other decorations to go along with the tree. The only tradition my children know is that it changes every year. It's nice but it's always a new surprise. I always want white lights, my children always wanted colored lights. My husband doesn't have time or desire to fuss like I do so he's not apart of it. He prefers it to be very simple. My children don't like to help because I'm to excited and want to do it myself.

I've done 37 Christmas's and now I wish I had done as my good friend Shelli did. She got each of her children an ornament for every Christmas of their lives, her sisters and cousins have all exchanged ornaments with each other every Christmas and birthday. Her tree is a major event each year. There are hundreds of ornaments. Each ornament has a story to tell.

I decided that I wanted to have a tree like hers. I tried to buy an ornament for each year of each one of my kids lives. That was 122 ornaments. I tried, but I couldn't deviate from a color theme and a style. I ended up with a Santa clause tree and decorations. It's been 10 or so years and I add to it every year.

I tell my family that it isn't the result, but the process of doing what I do that makes my Christmas. Course, I'm this way with everything, the journey is fun.

2 comments:

Jenn's Notes said...

I like the change of the tree every year. I wish I had the money to do that. But for now it's fun for my kids to put up the ornaments.

dream quilt create said...

So if you change the tree every year, what do you do with the decorations from the year before, etc?